When campus is closed due to severe weather:
- Telemedicine/Telehealth appointments will take place as scheduled.
- Call before coming in for an on-site appointment - 860-486-4700
- COVID-19 testing:
- If you had a scheduled appointment for Surveillance Testing in the Field House, you will receive a secure message instructing you on how to reschedule your COVID testing appointment.
- If you are participating in the Residential Pooled Gargle Testing, continue to submit your sample on your scheduled day.
- If you are dropping off and picking up the Vault At-Home COVID test kits in the Student Union, please drop off and pick up your kits any other day during that week - Monday thru Thursday from 9a-4p in the Student Union. If the inclement weather occurs on a Thursday and you were unable to participate earlier that week, drop off and pick up your kit at the SU on Monday the next week.
- Symptomatic testing remains open as an essential service during inclement weather, please call before coming in for an on-site appointment.
Impact of COVID-19 on Student Health and Wellness
The worldwide pandemic involving COVID-19 (coronavirus) has produced unprecedented challenges in the UConn community and around the world. Our main focus continues to be protecting all individual and population health, but there is now a shift to reducing the University mission as much as possible except for critical activities. As we adjust to this shift, please use the links under Our Services to check availability of services and programs.
Managing Mental Health During the Pandemic
As each day brings new updates, possibly with worrying or confusing information about COVID-19 (coronavirus), we each respond to this stress in our own ways. Everyone is different—our various thoughts, emotions and reactions are normal in the face of such widespread uncertainty.
To cultivate optimal health and lifelong well-being for every UConn student
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) supports the optimal well-being of all UConn students by providing the highest quality compassionate care and exceptional health and wellness programs.
Diversity, Health Equity and Inclusion
We are committed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for the UConn community. We celebrate and honor the uniqueness and diversity of all individuals. We promote social justice and inclusivity throughout UConn and the broader global community through our clinical, outreach, and training services.
Patients’ Rights and Responsibilities
As stated as the first tenet of our Patients’ Rights and Responsibilities: We believe you have a right to be treated with respect, consideration and dignity, as well as be free from all forms of abuse and harassment on the basis of an race, color, ethnicity, religious creed, age, sex, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability (including learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and past or present history of mental illness), veteran’s status, prior conviction of a crime, gender identity or expression, or membership in any other protected classes.
- We provide high quality, compassionate care and services.
- We strive to implement best practices in all of our work.
- We promote an integrated medical, mental health, and wellness model designed to meet the diverse needs of all UConn students.
- We are committed to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- We value external review and have been recognized as providing exceptional care by the following organizations:
- We provide services that are respectful of and responsive to individual student preferences, needs, and values.
- We listen to, inform, and empower students to be involved in their health and wellbeing in ways that are meaningful and valuable to them.
- We provide inclusive services that welcome all students with dignity and respect
- We encourage students to evaluate and advocate for their health and well-being
- We support students to be actively engaged to allow them to further develop knowledge and skills and to be a responsible consumer of their own healthcare
Community Engagement and Social Justice
- We work to promote an environment at UConn that gives everyone the opportunity to reach their best health.
- We are committed to creating a fair and equitable distribution of opportunities and services to measurably improve the health of student populations.
- We seek to form collegial relationships where communication, consensus building and teamwork are valued.
- We strive to provide skillful guidance of collective efforts to achieve public health goals.
- We are committed to innovation in meeting the evolving and complex health and wellness needs of our students.
Please note that Student Health and Wellness is a separate business entity from UConn Health located in downtown Storrs. Services provided by UConn Health may not be covered by the student’s insurance. If you have any questions, please reach out to us.
background-color: rgb(253, 173, 92);
Student Health and Wellness
Whether your goal is to improve your health, stay fit, find support, or feel better, the Student Health and Wellness team is here to help and empower you. Our services and programs are designed to promote a healthy lifestyle during your time at college and for years to come.
When campus is closed due to inclement weather, please call before coming in for an on-site appointment.
Sick or injured? Need an annual exam, allergy shots, or immunizations? Do you have another medical need? Our team of physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered dietitians, and other college health specialists is here for you.
Our team of mental health professionals understands the complexities of student life and provides an open, safe, and confidential environment to help you through issues that may interfere with your well-being and academic productivity.
Our on-campus pharmacy carries a large selection of prescription and over-the-counter medications and medical supplies. Our registered pharmacists collaborate with your healthcare professionals to provide you with the right medication and clear instructions for use.
Our health promotion team engages the campus community in creating a culture of health at UConn. We provide educational programs and resources on priority student health topics such as stress management, alcohol and other drugs, sleep, and sexual health; as well as bring together students, staff and faculty to co-create a healthy campus through our Wellness Coalition.